"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

4.17.2010

Orzo Salad

This is an old favorite in our house, great flavor and very hearty. Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta. I usually don't measure when I throw this together, but I think it needs a bit more dressing than it calls for.

Orzo Salad

1 package Orzo (about 1 lb)
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup coarsely snipped fresh parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (or more....)

1. Cook orzo according to package directions. (orzo gets very starchy and I find that I need more water than with other pasta shapes) Rinse with cold water.
2. In a large bowl combine cooked orzo, carrot, cucumber, and cranberries. In a medium bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, parsley, shallot, sugar, mustard, fennel seed, and salt and pepper to taste. Add to orzo mixture; toss well to combine. Cover and chill for several hours, or overnight. Stir before serving, top with green onions and feta.

No comments: