"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

4.13.2010

Tex-Mex Brown Rice Chili

Mmmm, yummy recipe from Rachel Ray magazine... one of my favorite sources for new recipes. This chili is super hearty thanks to the addition of brown rice. Since I'm vegetarian and hubby is not I've made 2 versions of this recipe- one as I found it, with the ground turkey, and one with a couple veggie burger patties broken up in place of the turkey. My very, very fav veggie burgers (and I've tried a few...) are from Costco but I can't remember what they're called. They come frozen in a big plastic container, and they are large oval patties made up of mostly veggies. I love that they have sunflower seeds in them! Adds such great flavor and crunch and really gives this chili recipe a little something extra!

Tex-Mex Brown Rice Chili
serves 6
5 T evoo
1 lb ground turkey (or a couple veggie patties)
salt and pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno chile, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
one 28oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
one 12oz bottle light beer
3/4 cup brown rice
chopped cilantro, shredded cheddar, sour cream, sliced scallions, chopped avocado and hot pepper sauce (my fav: green tabasco) for serving

1. In a large pot heat 3 T evoo over med-high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up, until browned, 7-10 mins. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a plate.
2. Add the remaining 2 T evoo to the pot and stir in the onion and jalapeno; cook until softened, about 5 mins. Stir in seasonings and cook 1 min more. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, beer, and 2 cups water. (the first time I made this it was a bit bitter... my guess is my beer wasn't "light" enough... but I don't know beer. so the next time I subbed some veg broth for half the beer... better. ) Stir in the rice and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 35 mins. Stir in the turkey, cover and cook until the rice is tender, 20-25 mins. Season with salt and pepper, serve with toppings.
I just love dishes that come with toppings!! Yum, pile on the avocado!

No comments: