"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

5.05.2010

Bruschetta

I had some roma tomatoes and fresh mozzarella that needed using, and for once I was not in the mood for a caprese salad. Or a caprese sandwich. Or caprese pasta. All of which are my favorites.... guess I'm just caprese'd out. So, bruschetta it was. 

Chop several tomatoes (I used 3 romas), a few tablespoons of red onion, a couple cloves of garlic, and 6 or 7 fresh basil leaves (I buy a basil plant each season at Trader Joe's for a few bucks... lasts for months!). Combine in a bowl; drizzle some olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar, add sea salt and pepper to taste. Chill. 

Meanwhile, slice up some rustic bread... sourdough, ciabatta, focaccia... whatever you've got. Brush it with a bit of olive oil and toast in the oven. I used a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, but it just depends how crisp you like it. Top each piece with a thin slice of fresh mozzarella (regular mozzarella just won't do).

Spoon a generous amount of the tomato mixture on top of the cheese, add extra pepper to taste. 


Yum.

No comments: