"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

4.13.2010

Barley and Edamame Salad

This is one of those recipes that you read and think sounds a bit dull. My husband picked this out, somewhere, so I made it to humor him. But it instantly became one of our family favorites! Has a great sweet, nutty flavor with some crunch. Even our 4-year-old likes it! Although I usually make him his own version without onions and a light dressing of olive oil and agave nectar. I like to cook a big batch of barley ahead of time and store it in the fridge; that way its ready to toss into this or any quick salad.

Barley and Edamame Salad

1 cup barley (one of my absolute favorite grains... incredibly cheap, very hearty with a great nutty flavor- buy it in the bulk section)
1 cup frozen edamame
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
dash sea salt
1 cup fresh baby spinach
1 cup golden raisins
2 medium carrots, shredded
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion

1. Rinse barley in colander or sieve under running water until water runs clear. In medium saucepan bring barley and 3 cups water to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until tender; drain. Rinse in colander under cold running water until cooled; drain well.
2. Prepare soybeans according to package directions. (I just rinse them in lukewarm water in my colander until thawed, but still nice and cold)
3. For dressing, whisk to combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. On serving plates arrange barley, edamame, spinach, raisins, carrots and onion. Pass dressing.

I like to arrange the barley, spinach, edamame, and carrots in little quadrants in the bowl, then sprinkle the onions and raisins on top. It's so pretty and colorful!

No comments: