"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

4.14.2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Ok, I know it sounds a little crazy, but I got to thinking about how much laundry I do, and how much detergent I go through... which is expensive! Even when I get coupon deals. And I love the idea of making stuff myself; I already make a bunch of my own homemade cleaning products. So when I saw a link on Frugal Living (my fav couponing website) about making your own laundry detergent, I had to check it out.
It's actually really easy! And smells great! And so far seems to work well; the only downfall IMO is that it separates, so I have to shake up the bottle really well each time I use it. Not a big deal for the money I'm saving. It costs about $2 per 5 gallon bucket-full. You need three ingredients, which I found at Winco, plus the bucket.
After I use up my 5 gallons, I plan to try the recipe for the powder detergent. I really prefer liquid, but the dry might be simpler; less stirring at the beginning and then I don't have to shake, shake, shake it so much.
Anyway, the recipe is from My Frugal Lifestyle, a great blog with tons of money-saving ideas! I didn't take any photos while I made mine, so here is the original post. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Floor Heating Toledo said...

Apprreciate this blog post