"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

4.09.2011

Spicy Asian spinach salad with toasted pepitas


I love this salad. Super fresh and crunchy, with a bit of heat. Plus pepitas are just delish. I usually serve it with some tofu baked in an asian sauce of some sort, or a side of chicken for hubby.

salad:
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup toasted unsalted pepitas or pumpkin seeds
2 green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves (don't skip the mint! it adds so much fresh flavor!)

dressing:
1 T lime juice
1 T canola oil
1/2 tsp sriracha chili sauce (rooster sauce, we call it)
1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger

1. Stack 5 or 6 spinach leaves, and roll stack lengthwise into tight cylinder. Cut crosswise in fine slices. Repeat with remaining spinach. Transfer to large bowl and set aside. ( I *think* this method is called 'chiffonade', and it's how I always cut my basil. Sounds more time consuming than it really is.)
2. For dressing: whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper. I usually add a little sugar or agave nectar at this point- this dressing is pretty tart.
3. Toss spinach with bean sprouts, carrots, pepitas, green onions, and mint leaves. Add dressing, and toss to coat.

The original recipe called for eggs, which I eliminated since I don't eat them. But I bet they would make a yummy addition if you like them! You just make an omelet of sorts, with 2 beaten eggs. Then cut into 1/2 inch pieces and toss with the other ingredients.


This time I topped hubby's with the extra filling from the Thai chicken bites. Easy peasy!

No comments: