"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

8.16.2010

Beckham's Big Bash

We celebrated Beckham's first birthday last weekend (2 weeks early) at my parents' house, and the party was great! A bit hot (97 degrees), and a bit frantic... but I guess that is to be expected. Birthday boy Becks and big brother Ty both had a great time, and that's all that matters!

My husband came up with the bee theme, since we call Beckham "little B", and designed the beautiful invitations, plus a bunch of the decor for the party. I was excited to try my hand at cupcake pops and a big, pretty dessert table (which unfortunately had to be inside because of the heat). I was (mostly) happy with the way everything turned out, and we both had a great time putting this all together!


the dessert table


These are the little paper signs Mike designed... I backed them with some dark brown cardstock and attached them to lollipop sticks so we could use them as cupcake toppers.



Here are my little bee cake pops. Whew, they were harder than I imagined!! But they tasted fab!


We stuck them into a styrofoam block covered with floral moss.


 My fresh banana cupcakes with little jelly bean bees and sliced almond wings...


I only had a few cake platters but wanted more height so we used a lot of tall candleholders with plates on top. Worked great! I used tacky wax to hold them in place.


Here are the pinwheels I made. I found some instructions online and they were really easy and so inexpensive to make!


Yummy honey sticks from our farmer's market, nestled in a bowl of lemon drops (the candy, not the drink...).


Love hydrangea. Thanks to my bro and sis-in-law for letting us cut these from their yard.


A last minute addition when we heard it was going to be in the 90's... spray bottles in ice buckets.









The pub sign... showing which beers are on tap. My dad made 'Beckham's brew'. :)


Some simple snacks for a hot day: chips and a couple different kinds of salsa...


individual servings of veggies and yummy garlic dip in little cups in a tray of ice...




homemade hummus in a (new) flower pot...


...and some fruit kebabs





We had to get a bit creative with the seating arrangements. My parents' (huge) yard is about 98% sun... usually great, but not for a big party on a very hot day. We crowded food, drinks and people into one small, shady corner. 


My awesome aunt and cousins set up a sno cone station for us and the kiddos loved it.


We hired a magician to entertain us all for a bit... here is one of my adorable nephews writing his name on a dollar bill that disappeared, then reappeared later inside an uncut lemon!


The kids were fascinated!


Ty and daddy enjoying the show.


This is Beckham's onesie that Mike designed and ordered from Cafe Press... You can upload anything and have it screen printed!


This photo is terrible, but here is my bee necklace that I've had since my 16th birthday and wore for this occasion... there is a very cool story behind it that I will share on my 31st birthday, 9/11/10. Check back!


Birthday boy and his candle... seconds before he broke down in tears from touching the hot candle. :(


He got over it quickly. Frosting helps.


He devoured every last crumb. 


A pile of wonderful presents. He had so much fun.


Happy first birthday to my sweet baby, and thank you to my parents and everyone who came and made this party possible!

2 comments:

Marisa said...

Wow!! What an impressive party! You guys did a fabulous job. I would never think to nestle the veggies in a tray of ice. So clever!

Jessica said...

What am awesome party, Genelle! I can't wait to hear the story behind the bee necklace. It's like it was meant to bee. Sorry. That was cheesy ;-)